Morgan Academy English Department
English in S1-3
In S1-3 all learners will continue to develop their skills in Reading, Writing, Talking and Listening as they cover the Level 3 English and Literacy Outcomes and Experiences. As and when pupils are ready, they will cover the Level 4 English and Literacy Outcomes and Experiences.
In addition, provided are details on ways to improve achievement and attainment in these courses through home learning.
In S1, some pupils will work in small Fresh Start classes.
- You will continue to read a wide range of texts, both fiction and non-fiction.
- You will learn more about analysing texts and about expressing your opinion of them.
- You will have lots more opportunities to choose your own private reading material.
- You will produce a variety of pieces of writing from short stories to persuasive pieces to personal reflections to critical essays on Media texts! These pieces will all be kept together in your Writing portfolio.
- You will work on improving your technical accuracy.
- You will choose topics to research and write about.
Listening and Talking
- You will develop your skills in solo talk, group discussions and whole class discussions.
- You will watch and listen to different spoken texts, (such as films, documentaries, poetry readings, speeches) and learn more about showing you have understood them and can comment on them
- You will choose topics to investigate and talk about your findings to others
- You will choose topics for a range of different projects
- You will choose how you present your projects
- You will practise a range of communication skills
Your teacher will assess your progress throughout the course. Assessment will sometimes be formal, for example the writing of an essay, but will often be informal. There will be lots of opportunities for you to work with others, discussing each other’s work, and you will also be asked to review your own work and progress.
You will complete a formal assessment in the October to Christmas term of S3.
In S4, learners will work towards achieving either National 4 or National 5 English.